Scholarships and financial help if you're studying to become a teacher

​​Financial help is available if you're ​studying to become a teacher.

Financial help while you're studying

The financial help you can get depends on:

  • your circumstances
  • the course you're studying
  • your education provider.

If you're at university, see student income support at the StudyAssist website

If you're studying with certain Victorian providers the government may contribute towards the cost of your course. Check if you can get government subsidised training or talk to your school.​

Previous scholarships​​

Scholarships for rural Victorians (closed)

You can receive a cash scholarship if you're studying to be a teacher and live in rural Victoria. This is known as the rural scholarship program.

The current round of applications closed on 16 March 2018.


To be eligible, you must:

  • live in rural Victoria
  • enrol in an alternative pathway course (sometimes called a 'bridging course' into university) or a postgraduate course that leads to a teacher qualification
  • demonstrate an interest in becoming a teacher at a Victorian government school.

Rural Victoria means outside Melbourne. You can check your address on this map. If it is outside the green 'major cities' zone, then you're in a rural area.


To apply, you must be enrolled in one of the courses listed below.

These courses lead to an Initial Teacher (ITE) qualification. You need to get an ITE qualification at some point during your studies to eventually become a teacher.

Alternative pathway courses

Australian Catholic University

  • Diploma in Educational Studies (Tertiary Preparation) - Ballarat campus
  • Certificate IV in Education Support (Pathway) - Ballarat campus

Deakin University

  • Associate Degree of Education - Waurn Ponds or Warrnambool campus

Federation University

  • Bachelor of Education Studies - Mt Helen or Churchill campus
  • Diploma of Early Childhood Education and Care - Mt Helen campus

La Trobe University

  • Bachelor of Educational Studies - Bendigo campus

Monash University

  • Diploma of Tertiary Studies - Peninsula campus
  • Diploma of Higher Education - Clayton campus

Postgraduate ITE courses

The University of Melbourne

  • Master of Teaching (Early Childhood/Primary) - Parkville campus
  • Master of Teaching (Primary) - Parkville campus
  • Master of Teaching (Secondary) - Parkville campus


  1. Complete the application form

    Scholarship application form (docx - 637 (docx - 637.74kb)
    Scholarship application form

  2. Provide evidence you are enrolled in an eligible course
  3. Write a personal statement on why you are studying and why you want to become a teacher. Don't write more than half a page.

Your application will be assessed by a selection panel. We'll let you know the outcome in about six weeks.

If you're successful you'll need to keep us updated on your studies and progress. If you're studying an alternative pathway course, you'll also need to provide evidence that you've started an ITE course within six months of completing the pathway course.

What you get

The scholarship is paid in two instalments for alternative pathway study:

  • $3000 when you sign the scholarship agreement
  • $2000 when you show evidence you have enrolled in an undergraduate ITE course.

For postgraduate study, you'll receive a single payment of $4000.

The payments are taxable and it's likely that tax will be withheld from the total amount.

Get advice

For more information on the scholarship, see:

Or email