The Victorian Government will fund targeted initiatives to attract more teachers. The $41.7 million funding boost will be put towards attracting excellent teachers to fill hard-to-staff positions in government schools across the state.
This investment incorporates and builds on previously announced initiatives to improve educational outcomes for rural and regional students, to better support students in these areas and address the disparity between regional and metropolitan schools.
It also includes incentives for certain hard-to-staff subjects, positions in rural and metro areas and/or positions in schools with a high proportion of disadvantaged students.
The financial incentives will provide recipients with an initial payment between $9,000 and $50,000 (pre-tax) to support eligible Victorian Government schools to attract suitable qualified teachers to take up hard-to-staff positions.
Annual Retention payments of $9,000 (pre-tax) will be paid at the conclusion of the second, third and fourth year of employment and relocation costs for regional and rural positions are also available.
Incentive payments for teachers
Incentive payments will be offered to eligible teachers for hard-to-fill positions.
This may include:
- certain hard-to-staff subjects
- positions in rural areas
- roles in schools with a high proportion of disadvantaged students.
The incentives will provide eligible teachers with an initial cash payment between $9,000 and $50,000 (pre-tax) when they accept a position.
Criteria such as contextual knowledge and the school’s application has been used to determine which positions are offered a position that attracts a financial incentive.
Availability of positions
450 financial incentives will be available over three financial years
- 50 in 2019-20
- 150 in 2020-21
- 250 in 2021-22
The 50 positions for 2019-20 year will be open for applications from 31 October 2019, with commencement from the beginning of the 2020 school year.
- incentives are between $9,000 and $50,000 (pre-tax) and available to eligible teachers who take up one of the hard-to-staff positions
- part time positions will attract pro rata incentive amounts equal with the time fraction advertised
- teachers who accept these positions will be required to commit to a minimum of two years employment in the position
- annual retention payments of $9,000 (pre-tax) will be paid at the conclusion of the second, third and fourth year of employment
- relocation support may be available to eligible teachers who take up one of the positions in a regional or rural location
Refer to each advertised position to view the details of the available incentive.
Advertisement and applications
Applications are now open for 50 positions in the following schools with incentive payments available for eligible teachers between $9,000 and $50,000 (pre-tax).
- Ararat Secondary College
- Bairnsdale Secondary College
- Bairnsdale West Primary School
- Camperdown College
- Chaffey Secondary College
- Charles La Trobe P-12 College
- Cobram Secondary College
- Colac Specialist School
- Craigieburn Secondary College
- Dallas Brooks Community Primary School
- Debney Meadows Primary School
- Dimboola Memorial Secondary College
- Echuca College
- Edenhope College
- Euroa Secondary College
- Goroke P-12 College
- Gowrie Street Primary School Shepparton
- Hampton Park Secondary College
- Hopetoun P-12 College
- Hume Valley School
- Kurnai College
- Kyabram P-12 College
- Lakes Entrance Secondary College
- Latrobe Special Developmental School
- McGuire College
- Melton Secondary College
- Monterey Secondary College
- Nathalia Secondary College
- Officer Specialist School
- Ouyen P-12 College
- Peter Lalor Secondary College
- Portland Bay School
- Robinvale College
- Roxburgh College
- Rushworth P-12 College
- Sale College
- St Georges Road Primary School Shepparton
- Swan Hill College
- Traralgon College
- Tyrrell College
- Warracknabeal Special Developmental School
- Warringa Park School
- William Ruthven Secondary College
- Wyndham Central Secondary College
- Yarram Secondary College
Interested? Apply now using
Recruitment Online (select role type 'Targeted Financial Incentive').
Positions will be open for application until 13 November 2019.
Applications for positions will be assessed through a merit selection process, according to existing
teaching service recruitment policy.
Payment of incentive
After commencement in the position, each eligible recipient will receive the incentive payment through central payroll.
If applicable, relocation reimbursement will be paid as per
Expression of Interest for schools
The Department identified 100 Victorian Government schools with the most hard-to-staff positions on Wednesday 9 October 2019.
These schools were invited to nominate one or more vacancies to be advertised that attracted incentive funding.
Fifty positions will attract an incentive payment in the initial phase and will be available for commencement from the start of the 2020 school year.
A second and third round of incentivised positions will be available in 2020-21 and 2021-22.
Identification of eligible hard-to-staff positions
In identifying eligible hard-to-staff positions, consideration has been given to certain hard-to-staff subject areas, positions in rural areas, or roles in schools with a high proportion of disadvantaged students.
The school’s level of disadvantage is measured by the Student Family Occupation and Education Index.
For more information contact the Schools Recruitment Unit on 1800 641 943 or email