Make a complaint or offer feedback

We aim to deliver high quality advice and services to the people of Victoria. We welcome your feedback both positive and negative. Your feedback can help us improve our services.

How the Department responds to complaints

When you make a complaint we will:

  • outline the process for dealing with your complaint
  • provide you with any reasonable assistance to lodge your complaint
  • treat you respectfully
  • act impartially and objectively
  • maintain confidentiality and privacy as required
  • provide an indicative time for addressing your issue
  • keep you informed of the progress of our inquiries
  • when extended time is required provide reasons for our decision
  • inform you of your rights of internal or external review.

Who is your feedback about

We run a large range of services across Victoria, so your complaint is best handled by staff who work in the relevant area. Read through the list below to find the right complaints process for your situation.

Early childhood education and care services

Complaints about childcare or early childhood education services

If you are concerned about your education, care or licensed children's service, you should raise your concerns with the service first. If your complaint cannot be resolved by the service, you should then raise it with the Department.

Complaints about specialist early childhood services

Specialist services such as an Aboriginal early years service , an early childhood intervention service (ECIS), maternal and child health (MCH) service, a parenting service (like supported playgroups) or a partnership (like Best Start) operate under state law and have a slightly different complaints process to your local childcare. Still raise your complaint first with the service before you speak to the Department.

Complaint about the Department's regulation staff

You can make a complaint about a Quality and Regulation Division (QARD) staff member or your satisfaction with the action taken by QARD.

Victorian government schools

Complaints about government schools or school staff

School complaints start with raising the issue with the school and trying to find a resolution. If more support is required, you can raise your complaint first with your local Department office, then the Department's central office. Complex complaints may need to be resolved by the Independent Office for School Dispute Resolution

Complaints about the Victorian school curriculum and examinations

The Victorian Curriculum and Assessment Authority (VCAA) will respond to issues regarding the school curriculum, examinations, and NAPLAN.

Complaints and regulation of student exchange programs

The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) investigates complaints against student exchange organisations.

Report religious or racial discrimination

Everyone in our school community deserves to be respected, valued and treated equally. Discrimination or abuse based on religion or race is not tolerated in our school communities.

If your child has been the target of, or has witnessed, religious or racial discrimination or abuse, we encourage you to report it to your school. They will make sure appropriate action and support is provided.

Complaints about independent or catholic schools

Catholic and independent schools will have their own feedback process, which should be raised through the applicable association.

TAFE and training organisations

Complaints about training organisations or vocational education

If you have a complaint, or if you need advice or support with your training, the first step is to talk to your training provider.

If you can't resolve the issue with your training provider directly, the next step is to contact the TAFE and Training Line. They can give you free advice on the complaints process, and may suggest contacting an appropriate organisation that can assist you further.

Department employees and services

Making a complaint as a member of the Department

If you have a complaint, you should lodge it with your immediate manager outlining the nature of your complaint and indicating that you would like to resolve the issue. If the complaint is about your immediate manager then discuss the issue with the manager one above.

Report fraud or corruption

If you have knowledge or reason to believe a departmental employee, contractor or service provider has been involved in fraudulent or corrupt conduct, you should report it as a complaint or public interest disclosure.

Offer feedback or complimenting a member of the Department

If you wish to pass on general feedback or a compliment, please contact the Department switchboard on (03) 9637 2000 and ask for the business area involved.

Raising privacy concerns

A privacy complaint is a concern raised about Departmental processes, staff or services associated with the collection, handling or sharing of personal or health information.

Make a privacy complaint

If you have about concerns about how a Departmental process, staff member or service and how they handled personal or health information, you can raise it with your local regional office or the Department's privacy team.