The Victorian Government will undertake a significant review into Victoria’s post-secondary education and training system to ensure Victoria has the skills we need for our growing economy.
The Review will be led by Ms Jenny Macklin, a prominent Australian social policy expert, with 23 years of experience as a Member in the House of Representatives of the Australian Parliament.
The review will be focused on developing a system that meets the needs of both industry and government, while supporting individual students to get the skills and education they need.
TAFEs, universities, private providers, industry, students, community organisations, advocacy groups and post-secondary policy experts will be invited to provide input into the shape of Victoria’s future post-secondary education and training system.
Terms of Reference
The purpose of the Review is to make recommendations to ensure Victoria has a quality vocational education and training (VET) system ready to equip Victorians with the skills they need for current and future jobs, with strong connections and pathways between VET and Higher Education as well as schooling.
Scope of the Review
The Review will examine and make recommendations on the following:
- What are the education and training needs for jobs in Victoria over the next ten years?
- What reforms are required to meet the skills and capability needs of industry and employers, government and the community over the next decade?
- What reforms are required to build industry investment in skills and workforce development, including apprenticeships and traineeships?
- What reforms are required to improve access to Higher Education and VET for students that are entering the workforce, and those seeking to reskill or upskill later in life, no matter their background?
- What reforms are required to ensure relevant, high quality teaching and VET courses that produce job-ready graduates at all stages of their career?
- What reforms are required to improve pathways, and connections, between TAFE and other VET providers, adult and community education providers, universities and other non-university higher education providers, schools, and employers, so students can easily understand and navigate the post-secondary system and update their skills throughout their careers?
- What reforms are required to improve the funding arrangements of Victoria’s VET sector?
Products and timeframes
The Review will produce specific advice to the Minister for Training and Skills and the Minister for Higher Education as follows:
- an Issues Paper identifying issues and, potentially, broad recommendations for reform, by the end of February 2020; and
- a Final Report containing recommendations for ensuring a quality VET system that is ready to equip Victorians with the skills they need for the jobs of the future, within 12 months.
The Review team has commenced consultation with a range of stakeholders and interest groups. A public submission process will be launched in 2020 following the release of an Issues Paper.
Please check back here for updates or you can register for our mailing list by clicking on the following link:
Secretariat contact details
(03) 7022 1800