Department program

Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund

Please note that the Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund application deadline has been extended. Schools now have until 13 August to submit CSEF applications. 

To support schools through COVID-19 restrictions, the Department has extended the deadline for schools to submit Camps, Sports and Excursion Fund (CSEF) applications to Friday 13 August. 

Means-tested concession cards must now be valid on either:

  • the first day of Term 1 (Wednesday 27 January 2021)
  • the first day of Term 2 (Monday 19 April 2021)
  • the first day of Term 3 (Monday 12 July 2021).

The Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF) provides payments for eligible students to attend activities like:

  • school camps or trips
  • swimming and school-organised sport programs
  • outdoor education programs
  • excursions and incursions.

From 2020, the Victorian Government is investing an additional $160.9 million for the Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund over the next four years. This has been bolstered further with an additional $28.6 million announced in the 2020-21 State Budget for the 2021 school year. This funding will help ensure more than 220,000 government and non-government students from lower-income families are able to participate in camps, sports and excursions each year.

On this page

Who can apply

Families holding a valid means-tested concession card or temporary foster parents are eligible to apply. A Special Consideration category also exists. Schools can receive applications from families over term one and two.

Families can list more than one student in the one application form if they are attending the same school.

Eligible means tested cards

Below is a list of means tested cards that are accepted:

  • ABSTUDY - Schooling Applicant (ABA)
  • ABSTUDY - Secondary / Tertiary (ABY)
  • Age Pension (AGE)
  • Austudy Payment (AUS)
  • Bereavement Allowance (BVA)
  • Carer Payment (CAR)
  • Disability Support Pension (DSP)
  • Health Care Card (HCC)
  • Job Seeker (JSP)
  • Newstart Allowance (NSA)
  • Non-Agency Payment (NAP)
  • Parenting Payment Partnered (PPP)
  • Parenting Payment Single (PPS)
  • Partner Allowance (PTA)
  • Sickness Allowance (SKA)
  • Special Benefit  (SPL)
  • Widow Allowance (WDA)
  • Widow B Pension (WID)
  • Wife Pension Age (WFA)
  • Wife Pension Disability (WFD)
  • Youth Allowance (YAL)
  • Widow B Pension (WID)


Criteria 1 - Eligibility

The applicant must be one of the following:

  1. a parent/carer (of the relevant student) who is:
    • on the first day of term one (27 January 2021) or the first day of term two (19 April 2021) an eligible beneficiary of either a Centrelink Health Care Card or a Pensioner Concession Card; or
    • an eligible beneficiary of a Veterans Affairs Gold Card; or
  2. a temporary foster carer; or
  3. a student is 16 years or older and holds a valid concession card (such as a Youth Allowance Health Care Card or Disability Support Pension Card).
    • The parent/carer must submit the application to the school prior to the end of term.

Parents/carer who receive a carer allowance on behalf of a student, or any other benefit or allowance not income tested by Centrelink, are not eligible for the CSEF payment unless they also meet the above eligibility criterion.

Where the parent/carer is seeking eligibility based on holding a Centrelink Health Care Card or a Pensioner Concession Card, eligibility will be determined when the relevant concession card successfully validates with Centrelink on either the first day of term one or term two.

If the eligible card is in the name of the student, the fund is only granted to that student, not their siblings.

Criteria 2 - Be of school age and attend a Victorian school

For the purposes of CSEF, students may be eligible for assistance if they attend a registered Victorian school. Typically, these students are aged between five and 18 years.

School is compulsory for all Victorian children aged between six and 17 years of age.

CSEF is not payable to students attending pre-school, kindergarten, TAFE or who are home schooled.

Special consideration

Special consideration is given to:

Families on a bridging visa, temporary protection visa, are in community detention or are asylum seeker families

A letter from the Australian Red Cross, AMES, or similar organisation is required as evidence. A copy of an 'immi' card is also acceptable evidence.

Students in out of home care

Institutions such as Mackillop Family Services, Anglicare, Berry Street Victoria and other Community Service Organisations are eligible to make an application for students residing on a short term or long term basis. The carer or Community Service Organisation should alert the school of the requirement for a special consideration application

Students in statutory kinship care

The care arrangement must be formalised through the Department of Families, Fairness and Housing (part of the former Department of Health and Human Services DHHS). The carer should request that DFFS or a Community Service Organisation supervising the placement provide a letter confirming the statutory kinship care arrangement to enable the application to be assessed.

These students may be eligible for assistance if they attend a registered Victorian school and their parent/carer submit an application by August 13.

Schools are able to accept applications from newly arrived refugee and asylum seeker students who enrol in terms 3 and 4. For these applications documentation confirming refugee/asylum seeker status, visa grant notice, Immi card or a welfare letter is required to be attached to the application form and a scanned copy emailed to for processing before the end of term 4.

Payment amounts

Payments amounts for 2021 are:

  • $125 per year for eligible primary school students
  • $225 per year for eligible secondary school students.

For ungraded students, the rate is determined by the Date of Birth

  • $125 per year for students born on or after 1/7/2009
  • $225 per year for students born on or before 30/6/2009

Payments are made directly to the school and are tied to the student.

  • from March onwards each year where the parent/carer’s concession card is assessed as valid on the first day of term 1; and
  • By August 13 where the parent/carer’s concession card is assessed as valid on the first day of term 2 and 3.

Applications can be received by August 13 2021. Payments are for the application year and cannot be claimed for previous years.

Use of funds

The Camps, Sports and Excursions Fund (CSEF) provides payments for eligible students to attend activities like:

  • school camps or trips
  • swimming and school-organised sport programs
  • outdoor education programs
  • excursions and incursions.

The CSEF payment cannot be used towards books, stationery, school uniforms, before/after school care, music lessons, or formals/graduations.

Schools will need permission before allocating CSEF funds and a credit note will stay on the family account until the family advises the school how they want the funds allocated.

Year 7 and Prep students in government schools who receive funds are also able to get support for school uniforms. For more information regarding this initiative, see State Schools' Relief.

Submitting an application

Applications can be entered from 18 January 2021. Parents/carers wishing to apply for CSEF payments for 2021 must submit their application form to the relevant school by August 13 2021.

However, a parent/carer will only be required to submit an application form to the school in the following circumstances:

  • the parent/carer is applying for the CSEF payment for the first time – i.e. an application form was not lodged with the school in the previous year; or
  • circumstances have changed – e.g. there has been a change in the care arrangement of   the student, a change of name or CRN, or a new sibling has commenced at the school and the parent/carer wishes to apply for the CSEF payment for the new sibling.

Where a parent/carer is not required to submit a new application, schools can copy the previous year’s application on the CSEF system to the current school year.

Schools must retain application forms for a minimum of seven years.

CSEF applications may be audited by the Department.

For further information about processing application, refer to: Submitting an application.

Application forms

Schools are able to accept and process applications until August 13 2021.

If there's shared custody

The CSEF system only allows one application per student. Parents/carers in shared custody situations (who both hold a concession card) must decide beforehand who applies for the CSEF at the school on behalf of the relevant student.

The CSEF is for the benefit of the parent who is in receipt of the CSEF.

Schools are not required to arbitrate this decision.

Schools can contact the Department's CSEF helpdesk for advice on 1800 060 970 or at

If you have already paid for some activities

Given the timing of the CSEF payments to schools in term one, it is recognised that some families may have already paid up-front for this year’s camps, sports or excursion expenses. In this scenario, the following options exist for schools to allocate the payment towards camps, sports and/or excursion expenses for the benefit of the eligible student. In addition to allocating the payment towards remaining camps, sports and excursion expenses in that year:

  • carry over the unused amount to be used on eligible activities in the following year
  • create a ‘family credit’ for the costs already paid. The credit can then be used towards other school expenses.
  • Where a family credit is created, the school and family can agree for the credit to be applied to other expenses for the student. The school will need to be able to demonstrate via the family account statement that the CSEF payment was utilised towards camps, sports & excursion expenses for the benefit of the eligible student. It is up to the school whether they agree to this option.
  • CSEF funds cannot be directly refunded to families.

Note: This credit note will stay on the family account until the family advises the school what they want this to be allocated to. NOTE: For any additional assistance or variation to this scenario please log a call with the DET Service Desk on 1800 641 943.

Students changing schools

The school that the student is enrolled at and attending on the 28 February census date is the school that must process and receive the CSEF payment.

If a student transfers to another Victorian school, including where a student is transitioning to secondary school:

  • unspent CSEF amounts should be transferred to the student’s new school**
  • if the unspent amount is minimal, the schools may agree that the funds are not transferred as long as the new school commits to providing the student with assistance to the value of the unspent amount

Students completing year 12 or leaving the Victorian school system

For students completing year 12 or otherwise leaving the Victorian school system:

  • schools may allocate unspent funds to the student's siblings attending the same school once the student leaves school. This is the only time at which CSEF payments can be used for siblings.
  • remaining CSEF funds will stay with the school and may be used to assist any students in need with school-incurred costs for camps, sports activities and excursions.

Information flyers

An information flyer to assist schools with communicating the availability of the CSEF to parents is available for download.

Financial Assistance Information for Parents (pdf - 100.48kb)

​​Translated CSEF information flyers are available in different languages and are available for download: