Professional Learning Communities are schools that start from a simple idea: students learn more when their teachers work together.
Victorian PLC initiative
Through the Victorian Professional Learning Communities (PLC) initiative, Victorian government primary, secondary and specialist schools are building a collaborative culture of continuous improvement in teaching and learning to improve outcomes for every student.
Participating schools benefit from a highly-regarded program of professional learning and ongoing support from regionally based teams, including a dedicated PLC regional manager who can advise, coach and train school leaders and teachers.
Building a professional learning community (PLC) is a proven way for schools to increase student learning.
PLC schools put student learning first. Data and evidence drive everything they do.
At their heart are teacher teams, working through rigorous cycles of inquiry to identify student learning needs, and plan the professional learning and classroom practices needed to meet them.
For more information, see:
Professional Learning Communities
Victorian PLCs and FISO
Working collaboratively to continuously improve teaching and learning is at the heart of the Framework for Improving Student Outcomes (FISO). The Framework is used by all Victorian government schools to focus their efforts on key areas known to have the greatest impact on school improvement.
To learn more about FISO, see:
Framework for Improving Student Outcomes
Progress to date
- Schools selected for PLC pilot - Jun 2016
- Pilot schools completed professional learning - Nov 2016
- Pilot schools commenced implementation - Jan 2017
- Regional PLC Managers appointed in all regions - Mar 2017
- Intake 1 schools commenced professional learning - Jul 2017
- Applications opened for Intake 2 of PLC schools - Aug 2017
- Pilot evaluation second interim report delivered - Aug 2018
- Selection process for Intake 2 finalised and schools notified of outcome - Nov 2017
- Intake 1 schools completed professional learning - Nov 2017
- Intake 1 schools commenced implementation - Jan 2018
Upcoming dates and milestones
- Pilot evaluation final report delivered - Mar 2018
- Intake 2 schools commence professional learning - April 2018
- Intake 2 schools complete professional learning - Nov 2018