Find a mentor
There are many different ways mentors and provisionally registered teachers can find each other. Some of these options may depend on your early childhood setting type and location.
You may find the following suggestions helpful in connecting with a mentor:
- use the mentor map below
- contact Gowrie Victoria and request access to a free mentor (more information below)
- if your service does not have a mentor, your employer/manager could approach a nearby service to see if they have a mentor or an experienced teacher available to mentor you
- if your employer operates multiple services, they may be able to connect you with a mentor or experienced teacher from another service they operate
- if you are not the only teacher at your service and if appropriate, ask your manager to send the other teacher(s) to undertake the Effective Mentoring program (see How to Become a Mentor below)
- become a member of relevant Victorian early childhood teacher social media pages and advertise that you are looking for a mentor
- if you can not find a mentor located within a reasonable distance to you, consider working with them by video and phone calls, emails and video recordings etc.
- use your professional network or alumni contacts.
The below map lists over 60 mentors who may be available to guide you through the Victorian Institute of Teaching's process to become fully registered. All of these mentors have undertaken the Effective Mentoring Program.
If you have any questions, or to add your service details to the mentor map, contact the early childhood mentoring team at
Free access to a mentor
The Department is working with Gowrie Victoria to provide free mentor support for provisionally registered early childhood teachers who want to move to full teacher registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching.
What support will Gowrie Victoria provide?
Mentors from Gowrie Victoria will work with provisionally registered teachers to support them through the process to move from provisional to full teacher registration. The level and type of support provided by the mentor will be tailored for each provisionally registered teacher. This may include face-to-face, videoconference, telephone and email support.
Priority will be given to teachers who can not access a mentor.
How to apply
To request access to a mentor, contact Gowrie Victoria on 9362 2210 or email: