Item uses these practice principles: Reflective practice, Partnerships with professionals, High expectations for every child, Respectful relationships and responsive engagement, Equity and Diversity, Assessment for learning and development, Integrated teaching and learning approaches.
Item responds to these sub-outcomes: Children interact verbally and non-verbally with others for a range of purposes, Children express ideas and make meaning using a range of media, Children engage with a range of texts and get meaning from these texts, Children begin to understand how symbols and pattern systems work.
The SOLD program is a series of four professional learning sessions that acknowledge the important role of educators in fostering young children's oral language. The program gives educators and opportunity to work in partnership with Deakin University academics. In 2022, there are two options for SOLD program delivery: online, and a self-paced online learning module.
The SOLD program aims to:
- build early childhood educators' understanding of oral language
- use research and collegial advice about how children learn oral language
- focus on diversity and promote practices particular to building children's oral language
- identify aspects of early childhood educators' talk that are conducive to developing young children's oral language
- reflect on, and critique, practices that specifically aim to support children's oral language
- build a shared repertoire of effective research-based practice that will support children's oral language, learning and development
- use evidence, including mapping against early childhood frameworks, to assess and inform practice.
Participation in this module involves:
- deepening knowledge and understanding of oral language and communication in young children
- opportunities to reflect on aspects of your practice relating to young children's oral learning
- observing and analysing young children's language and communication
- linking children's oral language-learning to early childhood frameworks
- being introduced to a model to support further research on your practice.
2022 Program dates
Self paced online learning:
Enrolments will close
on Friday 26 August 2022. All participants who are enrolled in the
program will have access to the program site until Friday 18 November 2022.
Enrolments will be open from Wednesday 1 March 2023 and close Wednesday 29 March 2023. To enrol in this program, please email firstname.lastname@example.org prior to 29 March 2023.
$1300 per person (incl. GST)
Target population: early childhood educators.
Program/practice descriptions and details: the program is designed to support educators in building their skills and practice to support children's oral language development.
Training requirements: educators will participate in four learning sessions. Participants will also have access to ongoing support via phone and email. Participants will be expected to incorporate new knowledge into their practice between professional learning sessions and bring experiences of this to subsequent sessions.
Factors to consider: services should consider the potential cost of backfill. It is recommended that services plan for an additional six hours of backfill for educators to complete SOLD-related tasks between each of the four professional learning sessions.