Item uses these practice principles: Reflective Practice, Partnerships with families, High expectations for every child, Respectful relationships and responsive engagement, Equity and diversity.
Item responds to these sub-outcomes: Not applicable
The Cross-Cultural Responsiveness Training aims to build educators’ cultural awareness, cultural knowledge and cultural practice skills. The training comprises of a workshop and optional coaching and/or consultancy services.
The Working with Children and Families of Refugee and Migrant Backgrounds in an Early Childhood Setting workshop aims to foster:
- Educators’ understanding of frameworks for reflecting on their own culture and other cultures, their own cultural bias and the impact of culture when working with culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities
- A deepened understanding and empathy of the refugee settlement experience and its impact
- Increased confidence in harnessing the strengths of children and parents from refugee and migrant backgrounds and in creating culturally safe environments that foster deeper trust and rapport
- Culturally tailored strategies for educators’ liaison and engagement of parents from refugee and migrant backgrounds
Follow-up coaching and/or consultancy is available to mentor service staff through specific cases during implementation of strategies from the workshop. The coach/consultant aims to help educators:
- Understand barriers to engagement
- Ensure they maximise their responsiveness to and engagement from CALD parents and communities
- Culturally tailor materials and services
- Develop CALD community engagement strategies
Workshops are available in group settings for a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 20-22 staff:
- Half Day - $1617 (incl. GST)
- Full Day - $3234 (incl. GST)
- Catering for full-day session: $30 per person
- Detailed analysis of participant feedback to inform future professional development needs: $200 per group
- Personalised certificates of attendance: $50 per group
- Venue hire: At cost
Coaching services (up to 6 staff): $350 per hour (excl. GST)
Consultancy services: $350 per hour (excl. GST)
Travel: $97 per hour from CBD
Target Population: Educators.
Program/practice descriptions and details: the aims of the training are achieved through individual interviews and community consultations, provision of literature and/or desktop reviews of best practice within the sector, and project work undertaken collaboratively with services. This project work aims to build the capacity of the services team to ensure the knowledge and networks remain with the service to support future projects. The training, coaching and consultancy services can be delivered face-to-face or online and can be delivered to an individual or a group.
Program adaptability: all components of the training can be adapted and modified based on local needs – this is done via a training/coaching screening questionnaire with management and/or a participant pre-survey.
Staffing: services should consider the cost of backfill in determining the cost of accessing this resource.
Supervision/coaching: coaching and consultancy services can be accessed for an additional fee following workshop attendance.
Tools and systems: an appropriate training space is required for in-person training. Services will need access to a PC with reliable internet access for video/tele-conferencing training.
Access and Inclusion
Strength of Evidence
Level 4 – Emerging research evidence