The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.
Principals exercise a significant influence on the effectiveness of their school and the achievement of their students. Of all the factors that impact on student learning, research suggests that leadership is second only to the influence of classroom instruction. Rigorous, transparent and well defined selection processes are crucial for building and sustaining successful schools. Selecting the right candidates to leadership positions has a significant impact on school performance.
An effective principal selection process ensures that potential applicants are encouraged to apply for vacant positions and increases the likelihood that the most appropriate candidates are appointed to these senior leadership positions.
The principal selection guidelines bring together the key aspects of recruitment and other Human Resources policies to assist school councils and principal selection panels in the selection of principals of Victorian government schools. Selection panels will be supported by a comprehensive training program that includes:
- roles and accountabilities of principals;
- selection process;
- principles of merit-based selection;
- anti-discrimination legislation;
- developing behavioural questions for interview purposes; and
- identification and use of appropriate additional selection tools
For comprehensive policy and information concerning principal selection see below.
Policy and Guidelines
- Principal Selection Guidelines - last updated 13 July 2018
- Principal Selection Panel Member Handbook - last updated 2 October 2017
- Recruitment in the Teaching Service - Remote
Procedures & Forms
- School council confidentiality statement (WORD)
- Selection panel confidentiality statement (WORD)
- Shortlisted applicants individual report (WORD)
- Selection panel report and recommendation (WORD)
- Principal (Selection Procedures and Grounds for Review) Order No. 1006