It’s normal for kids to still wet the bed when they're a preschooler. They may also ‘forget’ to go to the toilet despite having learnt how to use it. Some children learn how to control the need to go to the toilet a little later than others.
Remember that it doesn’t help to punish your child for wetting the bed. It can be a sensitive issue for children – they might feel embarrassed, sad and frustrated with themselves.
When your child is wetting the bed, remember:
- Be patient, calm and relaxed.
- Explain that it is something that they are learning and they will get the hang of it soon.
- Use a mattress protector.
- Give them positive feedback when they wake up with a dry bed.
- Don’t restrict their fluids.
- Don’t wake a sleeping child to take them to the toilet.
- Avoid discussing bedwetting with others in front of your child – this could make them feel sad and embarrassed.