Amusement Rides and Structures

This information has moved to the new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL). The content is an archive only and is no longer being maintained. For accurate advice visit PAL.

Purpose of this policy

To ensure amusement rides and structures used by schools are safe.


When hiring amusement rides and structures school councils should obtain the following from the supplier:

  • any information about the safe use of the item that the supplier can provide
  • the class and the plant registration number of the structure
    Note:  Only Class 2 structures must have registration.
  • the hazard identification, risk assessment and control of risks that have been carried out in relation to the design and manufacture of the plant within the control of the supplier.
    Note: If it is not practicable for the supplier to provide this information, then the supplier must be able to ensure the risk arising from use is eliminated or reduced so far as is practicable.
  • evidence that inspections and maintenance have occurred on the item between hirings and leasings, and the records of inspections and maintenance
  • evidence prior to the supply of Public Liability Insurance in an amount of not less than $10 million for any one event. 
    Note: The insurance must be current, cover the ride or activity supplied and note the Department.

Important: School must report notifiable incidents to WorkSafe Victoria see: WorkSafe Notification.

Related policies

Related legislation

This legislation applies to anyone who supplies, owns, employs others to operate, or operates amusement rides and structures, in Victoria.

  • Equipment (Public Safety) Act 1994
  • Equipment (Public Safety) Regulations 2007
  • Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
  • Occupational Health and Safety Regulations 2017