When conducting any construction or capital works procurement, schools must comply with Government probity and tendering policy, consistent with the Project Development and Construction Management Act 1994 (PDCMA).
Project value determines the rules for a capital works project, including the number of quotes that must be obtained from the market.
All minor capital works must comply with the Department's School-funded Capital Projects Policy
Minor capital works projects include those:
- valued at or under $50,000 (including GST) which require at least one supplier quotation and can be conducted autonomously by a school, noting that:
- school councils have delegated authority to enter into contracts and carry out building works or improvements for projects in this category subject to the availability of funds and compliance with Departmental policies and legislative requirements. See: the Department's Low Value Construction Policy
- valued above $50,000 and less than $200,000 (including GST) which require at least three supplier quotes, noting that:
- school councils must first seek the approval of appropriate officers within the Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA) in order to proceed with works or procurement activities
- procedures for managing minor capital works in this category are provided to a school once approval has been granted.
Construction works and services include the building, maintenance, rehabilitation, alteration, extension or demolition of any bricks and mortar fixtures or fittings by or on behalf of the Department; including any associated tendering processes, project delivery (i.e. design and engineering) or contract administration.
Minor school construction works and services, are any capital works projects that are valued at $200,000 or under, including GST.
Low Value Construction or Capital Works are any capital works projects that are valued at $200,000 or under, including GST.
Maintenance activities that concern school physical structures and their fixtures, such as structural, roofing or plumbing repairs, are generally thought of as construction and therefore subject to the requirements of the PDCMA. This does not include the maintenance of non-fixtures, such as light globes, portable air conditioning units or modular furniture.
This table outlines the number of tender/quotes required for minor capital work projects at various project values.
|Type of works||Estimated cost (incl. GST)||Number of tender/s required|
|Building and construction|
- Between $50,000 - $500,000
- At least one written quote
- At least three written quotes
|Consultancy services related to construction|
- Between $50,000 - $200,000
- At least one written proposal
- At least three written quotes
For information on how schools can obtain funding to support construction or maintenance of new or existing buildings see Infrastructure Funding
The school capital works program is managed by the Department's Victorian School Building Authority (VSBA.
The VSBA Minor Works Unit must be contacted for all projects valued above $50,000 including GST, by phone on 1800 896 950 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, and are encouraged to contact the Unit for advice about projects under this value.