Part four of the IncludED@OSHC learning journey
Staff may need help in building their knowledge, capabilities and confidence in working with children with complex disabilities.
The National Quality Framework for education and care explains the standards for supporting staff and educators you should meet:
Quality Area 4 – Staffing arrangements: staff are supported to deliver care and support that meets professional standards, and are able to collaborate and learn from each other.
Quality Area 7 – Governance and leadership: staff are supported to undertake learning and development, and their performance is assessed to identify improvement opportunities.
Below, learn how to achieve and exceed the National Quality Standard.
How to support staff
Staff are likely to turn to their leaders for guidance in how to support children with complex disabilities. Here are ways to help them develop their skills and confidence:
- give staff opportunities to identify and address their knowledge gaps through professional learning, such as training in personal care or disability. Make sure they have enough time to complete their studies and professional learning
- hold meetings to reflect and debrief on how sessions have run gone and any incidents that have occurred. Whether one-on-one or in a team, they will help create a positive professional learning environment that acknowledges it can take a few attempts to become familiar with something different, such as supporting children with complex disabilities
- meet regularly with each staff member to reflect on performance and goals, such as demonstrating inclusive attitudes and behaviours
- encourage staff to ask questions openly and seek advice.
Communities of practice
Communities of practice are where staff come together in a safe space to share ideas and challenges. They:
- can be created by one proactive staff member eager to share their experiences with peers
- offer support, collaboration and opportunities for staff to discuss their experiences, challenges, ideas and learnings
- help staff identify professional learning opportunities, best practices, resources and creative solutions
- help staff build confidence in their job.