Financial support for student transport (conveyance allowance)

The new Policy and Advisory Library (PAL) is now available. This page will be redirected to PAL from the start of Term 3. Make sure to update your bookmarks to the new PAL site.

Families in rural and regional Victoria can get help with the cost of transporting their children to their nearest school or campus. This is known as the conveyance allowance.

The conveyance allowance is available to students travelling by:

  • public transport
  • private car
  • private bus
  • or to students whose nearest school is not serviced by a free school bus.

The conveyance allowance is a contribution towards transport costs and is not intended to cover the full cost of transporting children to and from school.

Who can apply

The conveyance allowance is available to families who meet the following criteria.  Students must:

  • attend their nearest government or non-government school/campus appropriate to their year level at which admission is permissible
  • be enrolled at a school/campus outside Melbourne’s metropolitan conveyance boundary (jpg - 449kb)
  • live 4.8km or more by the shortest practicable route from that school/campus attended
  • be of school age at the time of application, and reside in Victoria.

Students attending a specialist school or special setting must:

  • attend their nearest government or non-government specialist school or Department-recognised special setting
  • live 4.8km or more by the shortest practicable route from that school/campus attended
  • live within the Designated Transport Area (DTA) for the government specialist school attended (applicable to government students only)
  • be of school age (5 to 18 years old at time of application) and live in Victoria.

Special settings must be recognised by the Department and can include:

  • deaf facilities
  • English language schools and centres
  • re-engagement centres
  • secondary teaching units.

Specialist schools and special settings located within metropolitan Melbourne are not subject to the conveyance allowance boundary and students may apply for a conveyance allowance.

Apply for the allowance

Families can complete an application form and submit it to their school, or the school can complete the form on their behalf.

Note: Form 3 Application for public transport travel must include evidence of ticket purchase.

Schools then lodge the application via the Student Conveyance Allowance System.

For instructions on how to process applications, see Manage Conveyance Allowance.

Payment amounts

Depending on how a student travels to school, the payment amount an eligible student may be granted is based on:

  • the least expensive public transport fares
  • a distance based allowance when travel is by private car and/or private bus.

Policy and boundary map

Criteria for determining whether a school is appropriate for a student have been specified by the Minister under section 104(1) of the Education and Training Reform Regulations 2017 (the Regulations) - Instrument of Specification: Transport Services and Travelling Allowances.

These criteria apply to any decision made after 18 March 2019, regardless of when the application for travel on an approved transport service or for a travelling allowance was made.   

The criteria now include an exception for students who are not religious. In these cases, a student may apply for a determination that a religious non-Government school which has compulsory religious instruction is not appropriate for that student

Definition of an appropriate school

Government schools

A school is considered appropriate for a student if they may be enrolled at and attend the school as determined under the provisions of the Education and Training Reform Act 2006.

Non-Government schools

A school is appropriate if the following criteria are met:

  • the school falls within the same religious denomination as the school at which the student is attending
  • if the school at which the student is attending is not a special school, the school is located outside of the Metropolitan Conveyance Allowance Boundary
  • if the school at which the student is attending is a special school, the relevant school is of the same kind or class of special school
  • if the school at which the student is attending only enrols students of a particular sex, the relevant school only enrols students of that particular sex.

Information for families

Contact your school first to check if you can get the allowance. If the school can't help, contact the Department via

For more information on the Victorian Public Transport Concession Card, see Public Transport Victoria's (PTV) Travelling with Student Concessions.