Get help with your apprenticeship

​​Financial help

See financial help for apprentices.

Apprenticeship support officers

Apprenticeship support officers give guidance to all apprentices aged 15 to 24 in the first year of their apprenticeship. They offer advice on personal and workplace issues.

Officers are located across regional and metropolitan Victoria and service areas are based on employer workplace location.

If you are an eligible apprentice, an officer will contact you and provide their details. If you have not yet been contacted or have lost their details:

How to deal with common problems

I am not happy with my training

If you are not happy with your training:

  • contact your nearest Apprenticeship Network Provider, or
  • call Skilling Australia on Tel: 13 38 73 (local call cost)
I am being harassed or discriminated against

Remember: harassment or discrimination is wrong, often illegal, and you don't have to put up with it. The best thing you can do is talk to someone about it. These people can help:

  • your Apprenticeship Network Provider
  • student counsellors at TAFE or your training provider
  • your employer, manager or a work mate you think may be able to help
  • your family and friends
  • your union
  • Job Watch - a community legal centre specialising in Victorian employment and training law. For more information, see Job Watch.
I think I am being underpaid

If you have a dispute with your employer over wages:

  • call the Fair work Ombudsman: Tel: 131394
I think my workplace might be unsafe

No one should work in unsafe or dangerous conditions. For more information on workplace safety and to find a contact person:

I want to terminate my training contract

There may be times when either an apprentice or their employer would like to terminate their training contract. This decision should not be made solely by one party. Both the apprentice and their employer need to mutually consent to terminating the contract.

What is meant by Mutual Consent?

Mutual Consent only applies to apprenticeships and describes any agreement made by an apprentice and their employer as part of an apprenticeship training contract. The agreement may be to vary, extend or cancel their existing contract.

Mutual consent makes sure that an agreement can be reached and the training contract made without external influences or obligations, either positive or negative.

If you've lost your job

If your apprenticeship is cancelled but you still want to complete your trade, you can continue training until you complete your qualification or find a new employer. The government will subsidise the training. You will need to continue to pay tuition fees.

​Registering may assist you to get a job and finish your apprenticeship. To register your interest in getting another apprenticeship, see Need an Apprentice.

If you do not recommence your apprenticeship, your qualification will not include the words ‘achieved through Australian Apprenticeship arrangements’. These words are only included on a certificate issued to someone who has completed their training whilst in an apprenticeship.​

If you're not able to demonstrate competency in the workplace

Your employer, in discussion with the training provider, should work with you to gain the necessary skills in the workplace. In some cases, this may require further training through the provider.

If you can't agree on competency

The best way to resolve an issue is for the parties to the training plan to discuss and determine an appropriate course of action.

If the issue cannot be resolved and is related to wages and conditions, see:

If the issue is likely to impact on completion of the apprenticeship, the apprentice or employer should contact the Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority (VRQA) on 1300 722 603. The VRQA may refer the matter to an authorised officer for further investigation.

Regulatory field services

The Victorian Registration and Qualifications Authority is responsible for regulating apprenticeships and traineeships in Victoria.

Authorised officers, engaged by the VRQA, visit workplaces to talk to apprentices, trainees and their employers to help make sure the obligations under a training contract are being met.

For more information about the VRQA and authorised officers, see Regulatory field services.